Thursday, May 15, 2008

Veggie Basics: Roasted Red Peppers

I've been having these sporadic thoughts about going Vegan. Between the huge carbon footprint left behind when you eat beef, KFC boiling chickens alive, and all of the other reasons why eating meat is bad, it's hard not to at least consider it. So, I ordered this brown rice and tofu dish when I was out the other day.. yuck. So, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. BUT, I am really trying to eat more veggies. Some of my favorite are the roasted kind.

I was in Boston very briefly recently to surprise my mom. She shared with me her recipe for making roasted red peppers. No oil or anything neccessary! Here it is:


Mom's Roasted Red Peppers

  1. Turn on your broiler. Cut up your peppers into large slices and remove all the seeds and insides. Place the slices on a piece of aluminum foil.

  2. Place the peppers in the broiler (on the foil) and watch them, broiling until black.

  3. Remove from the broiler. Wrap the peppers up in the foil and allow them to stay in this package until they've cooled. Basically, they will steam themselves with their own heat.

  4. When cooled off, open the package and peel the black off the peppers. They're ready! They should be soft all the way through.

0 comments: