Thursday, October 18, 2007

Day Trip: San Juan Capistrano

I simply HAD to get out of LA so on Saturday we drove an hour or so to this small, historic town centered around a mission over 200 years old. The mission is a nice place to visit: it has real adobe structures and is now a museum, chapel and beautiful gardens. I have never seen so many colorful humming birds in my life. I particularly liked the chapel with the smell of incense. It reminded me of going to church back in Boston.

The town is super cute! There were like three weddings going on, this awesome rock/blues band playing in this packed dive bar where people were getting DOWN (at 4:30 pm mind you) and some nice old streets. The houses are so cute, all with gardens and this hippy vibe. So NOT like the rest of Orange county. It would be great to live there. The train station was very central.. you could totally take a train down all the way from L.A.

As for food, we ate at the El Adobe, this great Mexican place. I don't usually talk about service, but the waiter was so nice. The food was awesome.. we both got huge gourmet burritos and the flavors were unique yet traditional enough. My boyfriend got the roasted tomato soup which was kick-ass! We also got the guacamole which was made fresh at the table. I definately got my good fats quota for the day!!

El Adobe de Capistrano
31891 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
949-493-1163

0 comments: