Sunday, September 30, 2007

Coco's Bakery: Delicious, cheap, homestyle cookin'!

I've lived in the southeast part of Santa Monica for more than two and half years and until recently, had never tried Coco's Bakery and Restaurant. It just looked like one of those lower-quality chain restaurants frequented by over 60 early birds. While it may be frequented by some over 60's (they have a nice menu just for folks 55 and over) it certainly is not low quality. I've been in recovery from surgery for the past few weeks and my man and I were just hungry for a plain ol' American comfort meal. We just weren't in the mood for the usual sushi or pho, plus we had just seen a commercial for Coco's pies and that kind of gave us that extra push to try the place out.

I love it! I got the prime rib and my boyfriend got the pot roast, both entrees costing less than $11.00 each. The prime rib came with some delicious cream of broccoli soup, fresh steamed veggies, and a baked potato all dressed up. It was quite good, but the pot roast was awesome! It came with a lot of brown rosemary gravy, baby carrots, onions, celery, and mashed potatoes. They also have a special going where you can get any slice of pie for $1.69 with an entree. The coconut cream was mighty tasty! We liked it soo much we returned last night, and this time I got the pot roast and he got the flat-iron steak. The steak was great, too! I was surpised at how flavorful and soft it was. I like the fact that the food isn't greasy like Norms or some of the other chains in the area. The service is also very good and pretty quick.

I'd definitely recommend this place if you're looking for no-fuss, tasty and cheap home-style cooking. Plus, you don't have to dress to impress.

Coco's Bakery & Restaurant
3440 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90405
310-450-6257
http://www.cocosbakery.com/

0 comments: