Monday, October 29, 2007

My chicken soup is better than your mom's.

Well, it's definately better than my mom's. Don't get me wrong, my mother is a GREAT cook, but the one thing that always tasted not-so-great was her chicken noodle soup. It just didn't have much flavor.. and I don't know why. I'll ask her about it when I go home for Christmas.

My soup rocks!! I'm not sure, but there may be two secret ingredients that do it: Better than Boullion, and poultry seasoning. Better than Bouillion is just one of those relatively new, amazing staples that I must have in the house. It's a paste you can use to make broth, gravies, etc. Anyway, I don't remember exact amounts, as usual, but here is my general recipe:

  • 1 T olive oil
  • 3/4 pound chicken breast
  • 3 quarts chicken broth
  • 2 onions
  • 4-5 carrots
  • 4-5 stalks celery
  • Noodles, I use Barilla Plus Angel Hair because it's yummy and good for you. I'm not going to give you an amount because I always use too much.
  • Ground pepper, fresh herbs (if you have them), poultry seasoning
  1. Take your large soup pot, and bring 3 cups of water to a boil over high heat. While that's happening, cut up your chicken breast into big, bite-sized chunks, like an inch cubed. Once the water comes to a boil, boil your chicken until it is just fully cooked, then remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
  2. Cut up all your veggies. Heat up your oil at the bottom of the soup pot, and when hot, throw in your veggies and saute until the onions and celery are transparent, but not browned. While this is happening, you can make your broth with your Better than Bouillion.
  3. Add the broth to the pot along with your herbs and spices, let it come to a boil. Add your chicken, return to boil. Add your noodles.
  4. Once the noodles are cooked, you are ready to serve!!

    I like to serve with grated romano or parm cheese!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

antie hi its andre and grans soup is ten times better than yours.

WHAT!!

Alexis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexis said...

Andre,
First of all, you've never had my chicken soup. Second of all, the reason why granny's soup is better than it was when I was growing up is because she purees the celery and onions just for YOU because you wouldn't eat them oherwise. You didn't even know she was doing that, so HA!
-Auntie