Thursday, September 20, 2007

Mixed Review for Yummy Cupcakes

Yummy Cupcakes on UrbanspoonYummy Cupcakes on Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica is one of two locations, the other in Burbank, CA. First off, I like the name... Yummy.. you might have guessed that. Since the shop opened, I have tried a bunch of different flavors: vanilla/vanilla, chocolate/chocolate, mocha, cookies & cream, chocolate mint, brown-sugar cinnamon, peanut butter & jelly, Elvis, Lemon Tart (although I swear it was topped with whipped cream and not buttercream) and probably some others I can't remember. What makes Yummy different from other cupperies is it's unique and creative flavors.

The verdict? Very mixed!! I love the Lemon Tart and Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes. The flavors taste real (as in real peanut butter, real lemon). But, in other cakes, the taste was different. The banana cake in the Elvis cupcake tasted more like flavoring than real banana. Also, the freshness has been spotty. The vanilla/vanilla cupcake I swear was at least day-old. In general, the plain cupcakes like chocolate and vanilla aren't very good. I know the website says they use the best ingredients, but there is just something about the frosting that just tastes.. fake. I would recommend getting one of the more creative variations because I think the added flavors mask the quality issue.

Finally, they NEED some better packaging. If you get one cupcake, it isn't in an appropriately sized wax bag like Sprinkles, it's in a brown paper lunch bag that immediately starts to absorb frosting causing those greasy spots all over the outside of the too-small bag. You can't get your cake out of it without messing it all up. Also, the boxes have no stability. They put two or three cakes in a box and they all just fall everywhere (see my bottom pic, my poor boyfriend presented me with that yesterday). They should take a hint from Le Cupcake and put inserts into their boxes.

Anyway, overall, mixed. Try them for yourself : )



Yummy Cupcakes
313 Wilshire Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-393-8283
www.yummycupcakes.com

0 comments: