Monday, February 15, 2010

Canyon Ranch Albondigas


I made this Mexican meatball soup for a friend a few weeks ago and she really liked it so I am fulfilling my promise to post the recipe. There are a couple of things to note and a couple of modifications I would make.. For one, I didn't feel like dirtying up a food processor to puree the Pico de Gallo. I liked the way it came out but if you do puree it you'll probably get a more tomatoey broth. Second, I think I'd prefer to use rice instead of potatoes next time because I am not a big fan of potatoes in my soup. Finally, I would use more of the herbs because I didn't taste a lot of the cilantro and mint coming through. The recipe posted below however is how it is written in the book,.

This recipe is taken from the "Canyon Ranch Cooks" cookbook. I usually don't post recipes from cookbooks but this book has been out for a while so I am making an exception. It's a good book and I'd recommend checking it out.

Albondigas

Meatball Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup cooked white rice
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
  • 1 Tablespoon minced fresh garlic
  • 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Soup Ingredients
  • 1.5 quarts chicken stock
  • 3/4 cup Pico de Gallo, pureed
  • 1 cup peeled diced potatoes
  • 1 cup peeled diced carrots
  • 1 cup peeled diced celery
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil.
  2. Combine all ingredients for meatballs in a large bowl. Mix well. Portion about 2 Tablespoons, about 1 ounce, and form into a ball with wet hands. Place on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until cooked through. Do not overcook.
  3. Heat chicken stock in a large saucepan. Add pureed salsa and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add vegetables, cilantro, salt, and meatballs. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Makes 10 servings, 135 calories each

0 comments: