Monday, September 14, 2009

The healthiest foods on earth

Again, I must apologize for not posting much lately. I actually have been cooking lately but many of the things I cook are from cookbooks and I feel bad posting the recipes... plus many of the restaurants I've tried I have not been crazy about. But, those are all excuses. I did come up with a really tasty dinner tonight that I will post about soon, I didn't know it was going to be so tasty so I didn't take a picture. Isn't that always the way it goes?

Anyway, the point of this post was to tell you about a book that my dad gave me for my birthday. It's called "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth..." by Jonny Bowden. The book goes through the health benefits of each food in detail, but not too much detail. It is also surprisingly unbiased and modern, bringing together knowledge from a variety of sources where consensus exists for the most part among nutrition experts on what is good for you and why. It is NOT the kind of book that advocates the main-stream food pyramid, but rather the sources are more legitimate and independent. It also discusses the importance of organic foods and other information to look for regarding the growing and production of food. It doesn't have a plan for menus, recipes, or any particular diet. It's a great reference for what we should strive to incorporate into our diets on a regular basis. I recommend you check it out.

0 comments: