Thursday, April 30, 2009

Veggie Basics: Roasted Eggplant

I roast a lot of eggplant. It's quite common for me to be sitting watching TV in the evening and periodically running back and forth to the kitchen to tend to my batches of roasting eggplant. Actually, what I do is broil the eggplant. If you don't have a broiler, you could bake the eggplant at a high temp in the oven.

This is super simple. Turn on the broiler. Wash and dry your eggplant. Then, cut it into 3/4 inch slices. Place some foil in a broiler pan (washing broiler pans is awful) and lay the eggplant slices down. Spray or brush them with a little oil. You don't have to do this, and sometimes I don't. It wont effect the moisture of the eggplant because they are loaded with water. Without the oil however the slices are more likely to char a little bit.

Now, roast then for about 4 minutes on each side, spraying the other side when you flip them. Take them out and eat them right away or let them cool for use later.

You can do all kinds of things with these. I like to make a salad (recipe coming next post), or a sandwich with chevre and maybe some roasted red pepper, pesto, and sprouts. Yum! You could just add some tomato sauce, basil, and mozzarella for a quick eggplant parm.

(Sorry..I just realized I left photos on other PC. Will add them when boyfriend brings PC back from conference.

1 comments:

Alisa@Foodista said...

Hi followed you here from the Foodie Blogroll, and I just love what you've got going here! Hope you wont mind but I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it's all set to go. Thanks!