Thursday, August 16, 2007

Grocery Store for Thai Ingredients near the West side

It's not easy to find Thai groceries, so when I found this place, I thought, I have to tell you about it. It's called Simpang Asia and it's actually an Indonesian market that is connected to a cafe. It's small and has a lot of the items you might be able to find at the bigger Japanese markets or even the regular 'ol supermarket. But, the few special items they have are worth the trip. These include:

  • Lemongrass: Lemony and fibrous. It looks like a scallion and is in the refridgerated case with the veggies. It really adds that authentic Thai flavor to your dishes
  • Galanga: A special kind of Thai ginger. I found slices of it in the freezer
  • Curry Pastes: Red, green, yellow, panang or matsaman. In a can or tub.
  • Kaffir Lime Leaves: These leaves have a unique flavor.. I found them in freezer

They also have coriander seeds, cooking wine and lots of other things. When I couldn't find these things on my own, I peeked in the back and asked an employee to help. She was very nice about it and helped me find everything I needed. Next time, I will stay for lunch.

Simpang Asia
10433 National Blvd #2
Los Angeles, CA 90034
310.815.9075

Across the street from the market are two Indonesian restaurants, so it appears to be a little microcommunity here. I've never had Indonesian food, so I am excited to go back to that area for lunch or dinner. Happy shopping!!

0 comments: