Sunday, April 5, 2009

Healthy, Light, and Delicious Cinnamon French Toast Cooked in Coconut Oil

I believe that coconut oil is good for you. It has a special kind of saturated fat that is healthy. You can do the research yourself and see if you agree. That being said, I try to think of ways to incorporate coconut oil into my diet..without adding a ton of calories. Virgin, unrefined coconut oil is the best for you, but it does bring with it a coconut taste. So, I make foods where the coconut flavor complements the taste and I am not trying to cover it up.

Cinnamon is also very good for you .. so I add it to my cereal and try to think of other ways to incorporate it into my diet as well.

So, when I came up with this easy delicious recipe for French toast this morning.. I just had to share!

There are some variations to this depending on your preferences. First, I added some virgin coconut oil to the pan and heated it up. It melts very quickly. Then, I coated some light (45 cals per slice 100% whole grain, Sarah Lee makes it) bread with some egg whites. You could use another kind of bread or whole eggs if you like. I put it in the pan and then sprinkled a lot of cinnamon on it. I cooked it on both sides and then topped it with Mrs. Butterworths sugar free maple syrup. It's about 10 calories per Tablesoon.. which is nothing. Now, you may not want to use this kind of syrup because it is made with fake stuff, chemicals, etc. Instead, you can use some honey, real maple syrup, or agave syrup. In any case, you are getting a deliciously sweet breakfast and getting some coconut oil, whole grain, and cinnamon at the same time. Another variation I tried was mixing some dried, flaked coconut right into the Mrs. Butterworths and spreading it on the French toast, as shown in the picture. Delicious!!

Overall, I thought I would actually taste the coconut oil more than I did.. it was actually barely noticable to me.

So, there you have it. A healthy meal that can be incorporated into a low-calorie diet. Bon Appetit!

0 comments: