Friday, January 23, 2009

My Culinary Classes

Well, folks, I am not sure if I've mentioned that I've taken some culinary classes recently including the basic and advanced sushi classes at the California Sushi Academy. These were the one-day classes, not the 15-week professional program. They were great classes. As some of you know, I have been making sushi for years, but this was the only class I've taken and it was very helpful to learn and see what the correct techniques are for cutting fish, rolling and forming sushi, and making rice. I even learned how to make shrimp tempura.

I can't explain how good it felt to take these classes. I am kind of a cynical person, and there aren't a ton of things I enjoy doing, but to be learning about something that I just enjoy so much anyway... it was a strange feeling of just belonging there. Anyway. It really combined my love of food and cooking with my love of all things Japanese.

I took a few pictures with the iPhone. The photo above is when he was showing us how to cut fish. It's important, especially when you're cooking in a restaurant, that the cuts are as consistent as possible. Then the other picture is a shrimp tempura roll with eel sauce that I made.



In addition to these classes, I am also enrolled in the Professional Program (They call it Pro 1) at the New School of Cooking. I'll start another post about this course specifically. I am very much enjoying it.. one of the best things I've ever done!

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I can't wait to hear about your course. I love that you are taking cooking classes!

Ps. your sushi looks professional! I bet it was delicious.