Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Post 4: Pies!!!!



I made two pies we traditionally make for Thanksgiving: Cape Cod Cranberry Pie and Pumpkin Cheese Pie. The cranberry pie is pretty much my favorite pie in the world but it is definitely an acquired taste. You have to really like cranberries to enjoy this. If you don't, there are other recipes out there more like a tart or cake with just a few cranberries in it. As for the pumpkin cheese pie, it is basically like a pumpkin cheesecake. Because my mom always made this when I was growing up and never made a regular pumpkin pie, I always thought that this was pumpkin pie until I ventured out into the world on my own. Now, I am pretty much ruined for regular pumpkin pie. My mom usually uses a regular pie crust but I used a store-bought graham cracker crust because I think it goes well with cheesecake and it adds some variety to the table with the cranberry pie having a regular crust.

Cape Cod Cranberry Pie
This recipe is originally from the New England Yankee Cookbook, a nice reference if you're interested in New England cooking. This pie is very easy to make and delicious!
  • 9" pie crust top and bottom, uncooked
  • 3 1/2 cups fresh, washed cranberries (this comes down to about one bag from the grocery)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 Tablespoons water
  • 2 Tablespoons melted butter
  • egg for brushing the crust
  1. Preheat oven to 450.
  2. Mix the cranberries with the remaining ingredients except the egg.
  3. Fill the bottom pie crust with the berry mixture.
  4. Arrange a lattice for the top crust. I have some tips for this in my apple pie post. Or, do something else with your crust. I used a small cookie cutter to cut out stars and then place them on the crust for a decoration.
  5. Brush the top of the crust with egg using a pastry brush.
  6. Place on a cookie sheet to catch the drippings and make the pie easier to handle.
  7. Bake 10 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 350 and bake for 30 minutes more. Use foil or a pie crust protector to protect the crust's edges.
  8. Tastes good hot, room temp, or cold. Don't have with milk.. something about the cranberries makes it taste bitter.

Pumpkin Cheese Pie

  • 12 oz cream cheese, softened (this is 1 1/2 packages of Philly)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 cup 100% pure pumpkin
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 graham cracker pie crust (just the bottom)
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Using an electric blender, mix cream cheese, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice in medium speed. Mix in the pumpkin.
  3. Add eggs and mix until blended. Pour into crust.
  4. Bake for 40 minutes. After cooling to room temp, cool for 3 hours in the fridge or overnight.

0 comments: