Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Post 2: Grandma Lydia's Candied Yams


This Thanksgiving I made my late grandmother's candied yams recipe for the first time on my own. My mother makes this every year and I think it's the best yam recipe around. My boyfriend tried them this year and he agrees.

Candied Yams
  • 6 yams/sweet potatoes
  • 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the unpeeled yams and simmer for 30 minutes covered. Drain and let cool until they are easily peeled.
  2. Peel the yams and slice them lengthwise. Lay the slices in a baking dish.
  3. In a large skillet, combine the remaining ingredients and stir until the butter melts.
  4. Boil for 3 minutes uncovered.
  5. Pour the mixture over the yams in the dish.
  6. I suppose this dish could be served as-is if everythying is hot but we always made this ahead of time and then heated it up in the oven at the last minute after the turkey came out.

0 comments: