Saturday, March 1, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes with Cinnamon "Cream Cheese" Icing (Vegan)


It's funny what ends up happening when I run out of milk and therefore can't eat my Kix for breakfast, and can't make any baked good with milk for that matter. Vegan cupcakes to the rescue!

I decided to adapt the pumpkin chocolate chip cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World to try to make things just a little bit healthier. So, I substituted agave nectar for some of the sugar and whole wheat pastry flour for some of the white flour. Because of the extra liquid in the nectar, I was also able to cut the oil in half. I also used less chocolate. Not too shabby, huh?

Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes
Makes 12

  • 1 cup pumpkin puree (use the Libby's canned, the Trader Joe's organic canned has a totally different texture)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup light agave nectar
  • 1/4 cup soy milk
  • 1 t vanilla

  • 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chunks, chips, or a cut up chocolate bar
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease or put liners into 12 muffin cups.
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the first set of ingredients (all the wet ones).
  3. Now, gently stir in the dry ingredients with a fork. Don't over stir and don't use an electric mixer.
  4. Fold in the chocolate.
  5. Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 23 minutes.
  6. Let cool in the pan for 3 minutes, then take them out and place them on a cooling rack.
  7. Now, I am supposed to tell you to let them cook completely before frosting but I think a warm, muffiny-like cake such as this dipped into the creamy frosting would be just fine.
Cinnamon "Cream Cheese" Frosting
Frosts 12 cakes generously (could make less)

I've made this basic recipe many times and trust me when I say that it tastes JUST like real cream cheese frosting. I think it actually tastes better. You never even have to tell folks it's vegan.. I usually don't.
  1. Easiest with a KitchenAid Mixer, cream together the margarine and cream cheese until just combined.
  2. Mix in the sugar 1/2 cup at a time until smooth and creamy.
  3. Mix in vanilla and spices.
  4. Frost as you wish!! Store tightly covered in the fridge.
If you want to know how to make the cute little fondant flower.. that's in the next post. : ))


0 comments: