Monday, February 25, 2008

Simply Steamed Japanese Mushrooms

Ok, I think I found my second and third favorite mushrooms. (Don't ask my what my #1 is.) These Japanese mushrooms are tiny, tender, and super cute. I made them as a side dish to the fish and noodles on Friday. You may need to pick these up at the Japanese market. That's where I got 'em.

The first kind are beech mushrooms (above). These, as well as the enoki mushrooms (below) can be cooked in a lot of different ways. They can be simmered in a sauce with other veggies and some meat or even pasta. They're small but all mushrooms hold up very well. I've had enoki tempura that was amazing. In this case, I just chose to lightly steam them to go with the delicate flavor of the fish.
All you need to do is cut the stumps from both kinds of mushrooms. Although there are lots of little ones in each package they are really all growing from the same root. So, cut this off because it doesn't soften up enough to eat it even when it's cooked.


Once they're all steamed, let them dry a bit on some paper towels. Then serve them up!

0 comments: